Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cultural Bonding

"When I was 16 years old, I had the privilege of going on a month-long mission trip to Taiwan. For a long time, it was the highlight of my life. I was enthralled with the people, the work, the culture...I loved it with every molecule of my being. Ten years later as I prepared for our family's one month stint in Kenya, I expected the same exuberance, the same love, the same cultural bonding. What I have discovered however, is that time -and responsibilities- have a vast effect on one's cultural bonding! As Joe has been able to dive right into hands-on ministry here, teaching and preaching, visiting different villages, I have been -for the majority of the time- at home mopping the floors, playing with the children, and cooking food. So needless to say, I was at first having a hard time discerning how to bond with the culture and people here." I wrote this in July of last year- in our studio apartment overlooking the main road of Diani Beach, in Mombasa Kenya. I was trying to verbalize my thought processes....not sure if it came out right or not! Obviously I never finished my writing on this- but the idea remains the same. Cultural bonding is a process that takes time, and a lot of it. A lot of people (so I am told) struggle with it so much that it never happens, or even debilitates them in ministry. I wouldn't know since I haven't had the time yet to experience this phenomenon- but it is my hope and prayer that one day, I too will be culturally bonded with a people not originally my own!

4 comments:

  1. Fond memories of that trip to Taiwan! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always! I will particularly always remember the temples and smell of incense everywhere....and that "special" soup with tiny little fish floating in it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the inside look that can me prayer for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!