Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

First Impressions...

You know the saying of how first impressions are the most important? Well here's my first impressions of Kenya...

I have just welcomed the house-help lady into our home, her name is Binti. This will probably be the only time she comes; it is weird having someone else clean your home!

Monday
We arrived in Mombasa on Monday after 3 days of travel, needless to say we were very tired. We were welcomed at the airport by our entire team! James and Jacinta, and their little boy Daniel, Betty, Ben, and Dennis and Allison with their two children~ we felt very special! They took us to a restaurant for lunch that was right on the water, it was so beautiful. Then we drove through town, across on the ferry, into Ukunda.
The weather right now is actually pretty nice ~ but then again, it is their cool season! We haven't used the AC yet, we just keep the fans on at night and the windows open.

Tuesday
Our first day here, Allison took me grocery shopping. First we went to a roadside produce stand; then it was off to the Nakumaat (a grocery store) where I loaded up on Kenya style coco puffs, instant coffee, and fresh whole milk. The time consuming part of all of this is the washing of the fruit and veggies when you come home. They have to be rinsed and then soaked in a sterlizing solution for half an hour. Tuesday night I made our first Kenyan dinner in our new little home. Lamb sausage with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and rice...not bad!

Wednesday
We got our first glimpse of the Indian Ocean, which is right across the street from our apartments. Took a short swim with the kids...Mia was scared at first but she warmed up to it. Noah loved it! Allison taught me how to make Pojo (kinda like a really thick split-pea soup, except it's made with "green grams", which are like really thick and hearty peas). It was my first time to use a pressure-cooker!

Thursday
Joe's first day working...he spent the day with Dennis at pastor-training sessions (BTCP). My first day alone with the kids; Allison has been teaching me so much every day...how to cook Kenyan food, how to wash the food, where to get the food, etc. Today Allison and I made a Kenyan bean soup using black-eyed peas and loads of fresh veggies. I am noticing a pattern here with the homemade Kenyan food....it's always hot!

Friday
Today I got to sit in on the in-depth Bible study and discipleship training Allison is doing with one of the ladies here; I learned a lot! Joe was out working again, went to prayer meeting and a team meeting today. Tonight we ate out at a place called Sherlock's Den...a little eatery right outside the Nakumaat (grocery store) where the tourists frequent. Mia finally ate a good portion of food (hamburger and french-fries, yuuuummm!). Learning why you have to sweep and mop every day...the dirt from the streets blow in through your open windows...even right after I sweep, Noah's hands and feet and knees are brown again from dirt!

Right now I am sitting at the desk in our dimly lit apartment (since the kids are sleeping), the windows are open and the fans are on full-blast (because I guess I am weak-sauce when it comes to sweating), and I am listening to the noise from outside....cars driving really fast on the dirt roads, people talking and laughing at the Pizza place below us, and every now again some dogs, monkeys, or birds. I am sipping a very strong ginger soda called Stoney Tangawizi to soothe my digestive tracts....it is so strong it burns on it's way down my throat. A monkey has just come to our back porch, I can hear it squealing outside our windows....weird! Hope I didn't leave anything out there....hmmm.
Well...till next time TTFN ("ta-ta for now" for ya'll folks who weren't raised with Winnie the Pooh!).....

check my facebook account for pictures!
~Christina

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your week. I've been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!