Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Surprising Years

Tomorrow I turn 29. Happy birthday to me! As I reflect on the past 9 years of my life, I am reminded of the many..."surprises". My first surprise was going from a single, i-don't-want-to-get-married-or-have-kids, there are plans for my life and i know exactly what they are to being married, and quickly changing some of my career "plans". I have been surprised by blessings, when along came two beautiful babies that - I was surprised to discover- I love so much I couldn't imagine life without them! I was surprised again by God when my choice of missionary service to Him changed to three different continents- definitely not by my choice, or in my book of "plans" for my life. So far - I have moved 4 times, finished a 4 year college degree, finished a 2 year Bible training program, watched my husband go through 2 post-graduate strenuous degrees (which took 6 years),and am now learning a new language and new culture, living in a new continent. I have done things I said I would NEVER do....such as homeschool my kids! I have been surprised by trials: learning that I am not a healthily robust creature, I have actual physical weaknesses that limit what I can do, such as fibromyalgia! The biggest surprise though has not been an accomplishment, a failure, or a change of plans. No, the biggest surprise has been just how little I actually know, how little I am in control, and how much my God knows, and how much He is in control. The biggest surprise is that He could take a Southern, proud, independent, feisty girl like me (flawed in so many ways) and show me just how much I desperately need Him, moment by moment. Without Him, I would be a real mess. With Him, I am still a mess, but a sanctified one! I love what the Lord has done in my life these past 9 years, and I look forward with anticipation to what my last year as a 20-something holds.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope you had a special day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a perfect day, and very different from any other birthday I have ever had. We spent the day snuggled up inside with a warm fire, Christmas music, and a family Christmas movie! The cold weather had me craving some sort of Christmas celebration, so it was perfect!

      Delete

I always love to hear from you!