Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Eve...

Tonight I'm thinking of the word "Eve" in two senses.....
First, tonight is the eve of tomorrow- very profound, I know. What's so special about tomorrow, you ask? Well, Joe begins his last year in seminary; I begin my first year in BTCL (Bible Training Center for Leaders) at our church; and, I begin homeschooling Mia in Kindergarten! So, in a sense, tomorrow begins a new year for us. We have also been blessed to be given a home to live in while we raise support in preparation for full-time missions in Kenya; we will be moving at the end of the month. Praise the Lord with us for answering this prayer....we've been praying specifically for this for over a year now!
So, "Eve" in the second sense. I have recently been encouraged by the blog posted on Desiring God by Rachel Jankovic entitled Motherhood is Application. It reminded me that the mundane, monotonous, invisible tasks we complete numerous times each day for our children- are all part of us serving our the Great Commission at home. Our home is our mission-field, first and foremost! And that it is here, in our home, that we must live out the Gospel to our young children. Sometimes for me that is very hard to remember.....and appreciate. I remember Eve from Genesis- how one seemingly insignificant act on her part affected humanity for eternity. She probably didn't think taking a bite of fruit would have such a lasting, devastating impact, how could she? It was one minor slip-up, one moment of a lack of faith, one instance of leaning on her own understanding, one yearning for independence from God. But that one moment changed all the rest of time for all of us. Makes you wonder- what little act today on my part will have an eternal impact on someone else? Today, will my words, my tone, my sighs, will they be a fragrant aroma of life to my little children? Or will they be a stench to turn them away from the sweetness of the Gospel? Will I strive in my humanity to homeschool well, clean my house well, study the Bible well, etc.- or will I lean on the Lord to help me apply the Gospel to my children today, and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you!